Install Mpv Media Player

Drew

Drew

King D/D/D
Staff member
Curator
Level
Awards
Mpv is a free and open source media player thats used by many fansubs. Its highly customizable, u can report bugs in their github page and get support too at their reddit page.
So if u wanna give mpv a try there r certain methods to go abt it:
  • Use the minimalist mpv from their website. Should be enough for most. (The keyboard shortcuts r key here and the chart comes inside doc folder with the download)
  • Use the minimalist mpv from their website with some scripts and tweaks to config. (Enhances the experience and tailored to ones use case) (I prefer this).
  • Use mpv with a frontend. Useful for those who like a gui. I can suggest (afaik this is updated pretty often)
If u want to use with frontends, u can choose from here (mpv.net is suggested by me)

Steps for basic install: (Not required if u r using frontends like mpv,net, SMPlayer)
  1. Download mpv from (I prefer sourceforge bcoz of weekly builds, but there r stable builds out there too)
  2. Run mpv-install.bat as admin to install.
  3. Press any key to open Control Panel and choose the 1st option, it would open defaults for browser, maps, music, video, etc in windows settings window.
  4. Change the default for video to mpv.
  5. Profit
For the second one the scripts I used r playlistmanager, open dialog, ontop playback, seek-to, some custom fonts. I hv attached the whole thing below. Its for people who wanna try it out.
Steps if want to use my config and settings with the scripts mentioned above:
  1. Download mpv from
  2. Extract it and rename the folder as u like.
  3. Delete everything except mpv.exe, dll file and mpv msdos file.
  4. Extract the file attached below and paste where mpv.exe is.
  5. Install as above (the install bat is changed a little not to create start menu shortcut which interfered with scripts, so now u can create desktop shortcut, pin it to start however u like without any issues). Also the icon is different as I like this one more. DONOT delete the icon-file after install, the icons won't show properly otherwise.
  6. Last thing, inside "portable_config\script-opts\playlistmanager.conf" open this file and edit line 33, to whatever place u want to save playlists (Default was G:\Software\Mpv\playlists). I saved it inside mpv, hence u find playlist folder. Take care of proper format like \ and u r good to go.
Some shortcuts that I use r already configured so u dont hv to and many r like Potplayer (which I got used to so I configured mpv that way)
  • p views playlist
  • shift+p saves playlist
  • o opens dialog (useful when u open mpv and just open a saved playlist)
  • f for fullscreen
  • k is for audio cycle
  • shift+k for audio cycle but in reverse
  • l for subtitle cycle
  • shift+l for subtitle cycle reverse
  • i is for info,
  • shift+o for chapters
  • , and . for subtitle delays
  • z and x for audio delays
  • / for subtitle delay reset
  • [ and ] for playback speed by 0.5
  • \ playback speed reset
  • shift+[ or ] is playback speed by 0.1
  • Home is prev subtitle and End is next
  • PgUp is prev file and PgDn is next
  • Backspace goes to start of file
  • shift+Backspace last 30 sec of file
Also I hv disabled many keys due to not being used and not to accidentally press them. All the shortcuts can be found at input.conf

For people who want to play 4K HDR or want to use custom shaders, etc, there is a advanced guide

And thats it. Hope u guys enjoy using this awesome player.

Attachments

Kaneki

Kaneki

Staff member
Curator
Level
Awards
Thank you man this is very helpful and informative.