Encoding

Lustful Loli

Lustful Loli

Lusty Little Girl
Captain
Level
Awards
Narnia
👋👋😄 I was thinking of trying encoding, so I found this useful guide if any noob like me is thinking of trying something new

Drew

Drew

King D/D/D
Staff member
Curator
Level
Awards
👋👋😄 I was thinking of trying encoding, so I found this useful guide if any noob like me is thinking of trying something new
Thanks for this ^^

Sildjinn

Sildjinn

Pirate
Level
This guide is definitely amazing and chock-full of info. Though I haven't read everything yet, I have a much better general understanding of things and how they work already.

Which prompted a question, where do the encoders on this site source their subtitles? I have a few ideas, but also just no clue.
So far what I've read indicates that one person would take a long time to generate subtitles for a video without any, and I don't think Deadsec is secretly 15 people.

(I could be wrong about that)

I've still got to read more about encodes and how they work(at all) and all the juicy complicated stuff that balances quality with file size.

Lustful Loli

Lustful Loli

Lusty Little Girl
Captain
Level
Awards
Narnia
This guide is definitely amazing and chock-full of info. Though I haven't read everything yet, I have a much better general understanding of things and how they work already.

Which prompted a question, where do the encoders on this site source their subtitles? I have a few ideas, but also just no clue.
So far what I've read indicates that one person would take a long time to generate subtitles for a video without any, and I don't think Deadsec is secretly 15 people.

(I could be wrong about that)

I've still got to read more about encodes and how they work(at all) and all the juicy complicated stuff that balances quality with file size.
they get subs frm third-party sites like Anime Tosho

Drew

Drew

King D/D/D
Staff member
Curator
Level
Awards
Back then subs were done by fansubs, it's become easier now as u can get them with the source itself as eg., CrunchyRoll has subs also. Encoders can choose to put styling and effects but that's a lot of work too apart from encoding.

Sildjinn

Sildjinn

Pirate
Level
Back then subs were done by fansubs, it's become easier now as u can get them with the source itself as eg., CrunchyRoll has subs also. Encoders can choose to put styling and effects but that's a lot of work too apart from encoding.
I see, that makes sense. I'm guessing you'd pull official subs off, but would still look for an uncompressed/raw version of the video elsewhere, right? I'm not sure what criterion encoders generally go by, so I'm just guessing at the process with the information I have.

Also I'm surprised at myself for not really knowing anything about 3rd party subbing groups. Thanks for answering my questions though.

Drew

Drew

King D/D/D
Staff member
Curator
Level
Awards
I see, that makes sense. I'm guessing you'd pull official subs off, but would still look for an uncompressed/raw version of the video elsewhere, right? I'm not sure what criterion encoders generally go by, so I'm just guessing at the process with the information I have.

Also I'm surprised at myself for not really knowing anything about 3rd party subbing groups. Thanks for answering my questions though.
Yeah np ^^

Actually some do it that way, get raws BDs from one, sync the fansubs to it (from webrip) manually or use scripts or just wait for the same fansub to release their own BD versions xD

As to how they select which source is better, only they can tell xD Even I hv a hard time sometimes deciding which source is better (non-anime included)