Question regarding formats (educate me?)

First of all, if this is in the wrong place, sorry. I didn't really find a place that seemed fitting. I've just been wondering something regarding the formatting of the anime uploaded here. Everything always works with , of course. I got used to running everything off of my external through an older dvd player. So far everything I have collected off here has not been playable through that method. In the past I have ran into this problem, formats and codec issues, but so far it's been every file. Not complaining, I just need help figuring if there is a way around this. I could hookup my desktop to my tv and run it that way, but the back and forth is not worth it.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand the exact problem, so I'd thought I'd try to grab some knowledge from you guys.
Thoughts?

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
Okay I will explain it in simple terms
X264,X265,HEVC,AVC,Xvid,AVI are all codec i.e is how a video is stored. Xvid is the first video codec created then x264 came and took the market for almost a decade, but recently x265 and hevc came. the difference in them is X264 has compatibility with all devices and high quality. X265 has better compression than X264.
We also have bit depth i.e 8 bit or 10bit. In simple terms 10 bit has more colours than 8 bit so 10 bit videos have better quality. But 10 bit videos are processor extensive so all devices can't play it.
So when it comes to your issue your player only supports x264 but most of the encodes are in x265 that is the reason your player can't play them.
In short you need x264 8 bit videos to play on your blueray player.
For love of god please don't use vlc player, use mpc hc or mpv player. Dam vlc player

Okay I will explain it in simple terms
X264,X265,HEVC,AVC,Xvid,AVI are all codec i.e is how a video is stored. Xvid is the first video codec created then x264 came and took the market for almost a decade, but recently x265 and hevc came. the difference in them is X264 has compatibility with all devices and high quality. X265 has better compression than X264.
We also have bit depth i.e 8 bit or 10bit. In simple terms 10 bit has more colours than 8 bit so 10 bit videos have better quality. But 10 bit videos are processor extensive so all devices can't play it.
So when it comes to your issue your player only supports x264 but most of the encodes are in x265 that is the reason your player can't play them.
In short you need x264 8 bit videos to play on your blueray player.
For love of god please don't use vlc player, use mpc hc or mpv player. Dam vlc player
That hit my issue right on.
Thank you.
In regards to VLC, that is always the first thing brought up. haha. If it works, it works.
So in short, I would have to convert everything to x264 8bit, or find something that can work with it.
easiest thing I can think of would be just to get a pc just to use as a media center, so I could bypass all of this. Money though.

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
Thank you.
In regards to VLC, that is always the first thing brought up. haha. If it works, it works.
So in short, I would have to convert everything to x264 8bit, or find something that can work with it.
easiest thing I can think of would be just to get a pc just to use as a media center, so I could bypass all of this. Money though.
I left most of the jargon and explained only the issue related stuff.
I have a old pc with 2gb ram and vlc can't play the 1080p X265 10 bit videos. But mpv or mpc hc player played them. Once I did a performance check with different players and most of the time mpv gave better results. VLC has very high ram usage and took a lot of processive power where as mpv took almost 30% less power and ram.
But results for my laptop was bit different vlc took less ram than mpv but in processive power mpv won the battle. Overall mpv is good.
Not only that all the fan subbers sub according to mpv player, so in vlc you will have a 2 frame difference, which can cause scene bleed where there is not, which can be noticed at signs/karaoke. These things doesn't matter for someone who doesn't care about quality. But someone who has a TV like me can notice them so I am meticulous on subs.

I left most of the jargon and explained only the issue related stuff.
I have a old pc with 2gb ram and vlc can't play the 1080p X265 10 bit videos. But mpv or mpc hc player played them. Once I did a performance check with different players and most of the time mpv gave better results. VLC has very high ram usage and took a lot of processive power where as mpv took almost 30% less power and ram.
But results for my laptop was bit different vlc took less ram than mpv but in processive power mpv won the battle. Overall mpv is good.
Not only that all the fan subbers sub according to mpv player, so in vlc you will have a 2 frame difference, which can cause scene bleed where there is not, which can be noticed at signs/karaoke. These things doesn't matter for someone who doesn't care about quality.
Understood. I am a lowly person who doesn't care enough. Joking.
I use a program that works (For me) Since I haven't seen any issues with it on my own watching.
Good to know about the ram usage and it not working on everything. I'll check out mpv.
I'm also in the habit of dubbed content because I multitask a lot, and don't speak Japanese. I know, I'm horrible, but it frees me up to do other things when I can't full on stare at the tv.

Tsunayoshi

Vongola Decimo
Staff member
Head Admin
Thank you.
Ive noticed a recent issue with vlc's latest release as well.

i suggest downgrade or shift to a diff player 3.0.4 works for me while latest one throws issues.

Try this one as well once and let us know

Ive noticed a recent issue with vlc's latest release as well.

i suggest downgrade or shift to a diff player 3.0.4 works for me while latest one throws issues.

Try this one as well once and let us know
My original issue has nothing to do with the functionality of vlc. As of now, it works for me on my PC. My issue was getting things to play off an external/dvd player, so I could watch it on my TV. For now things are fine on my pc. I ran Vlc and MPV. No issues. It might come up if/when I buy the pc to use as a media center, but for now everything works on this guy. Lots of repetition, sorry. it's still early.

Tsunayoshi

Vongola Decimo
Staff member
Head Admin
My original issue has nothing to do with the functionality of vlc. As of now, it works for me on my PC. My issue was getting things to play off an external/dvd player, so I could watch it on my TV. For now things are fine on my pc. I ran Vlc and MPV. No issues. It might come up if/when I buy the pc to use as a media center, but for now everything works on this guy. Lots of repetition, sorry. it's still early.
I think old dvd players wont play anything in 720p.

did you try a 480p encode? - cause someone i know of has a similar case and he can play our 480p ones but not 720p.
Although might just depend on the dvd player as well.

I think old dvd players wont play anything in 720p.

did you try a 480p encode? - cause someone i know of has a similar case and he can play our 480p ones but not 720p.
Although might just depend on the dvd player as well.
I grabbed this last year, and it works with most things. Above poster said it was because newer files are x265 or hevc. I know I have played other media files that were 720p and 1080p. Used to torrent when that was more popular. Most of the time it worked, there were a few times where it would be picky, but it wasn't too bad. As I said before, I noticed that everything I have grabbed from you guys has not been playable through the Philips. Ebay has media centers that could bypass all of this, but I don't need more charges at the moment.

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
I grabbed this last year, and it works with most things. Above poster said it was because newer files are x265 or hevc. I know I have played other media files that were 720p and 1080p. Used to torrent when that was more popular. Most of the time it worked, there were a few times where it would be picky, but it wasn't too bad. As I said before, I noticed that everything I have grabbed from you guys has not been playable through the Philips. Ebay has media centers that could bypass all of this, but I don't need more charges at the moment.
That is because you brought a blueray player, BDMV aka BD are in X264 8 bit with .pgs support not .ass like fan subs do. blueray player supports only X264 8 bit videos with pgs support. So no matter what the era you buy the blueray player it won't run X265 video
I'm also in the habit of dubbed content because I multitask a lot, and don't speak Japanese. I know, I'm horrible, but it frees me up to do other things when I can't full on stare at the tv
Yeah even I watch my anime dub not for the reason you mentioned, I just like to watch dub because I can look all around the screen not just the down part. You don't have to be stiff you are free to talk anything you like.

Tsunayoshi

Vongola Decimo
Staff member
Head Admin

That is because you brought a blueray player, BDMV aka BD are in X264 8 bit with .pgs support not .ass like fan subs do. blueray player supports only X264 8 bit videos with pgs support. So no matter what the era you buy the blueray player it won't run X265 video

Yeah even I watch my anime dub not for the reason you mentioned, I just like to watch dub because I can look all around the screen not just the down part. You don't have to be stiff you are free to talk anything you like.
I understand that. So point me to something that's not that player? Haha It's not really about the player. If it's easier to just get a different player or something, I'm ok with it.

Yeah, I like dubs. Easier for multitasking.

greycouncil

World Nobles
perhaps consider streaming the media off your computer rather than the dvd player you are using? Kodi is free and good. I've tested it with my ipad, it works for streaming the anime off this site.

WhenMarkers

⚔ Secretary of Time ⚔
World Nobles
try casting the video from PC to TV or from Android to TV... only a few DVD players has HEVC support.. and they cost.. there are also cables which let's you connect your Android Screen to TVs using Wired Casting... But if your TV is old, then there goes the problem..

LordGrim9987

Lustful Loli
Surgeon
Use MX player, it always works no matter the codec, that's my practical experience, although I watch anime either on computer or mobile, so I don't know the case of the DVD players.

Update:
I ended up just buying a cheap PC to use as my media Center. I set it up on the sidetable, and run everything off my External.
Easiest fix I could think of ( for me)
Thanks Everyone!