VPN Discussion

sirsneaknsniff

sirsneaknsniff

World Nobles
Level
Awards
Wondering what VPNs people are using. I use TorGuard and absolutely love it! When I was choosing one way back when, I'd found some info that they don't keep records of the traffic they filter and they had been proven in court. So I haven't done research since, especially since the code "50FORLIFE" makes is dirt cheap ($30/year)! Also, the live chat support has never let me down.

Anyone the wiser when it comes to VPNs? I'd love your cents.

WhenMarkers

WhenMarkers

⚔ Secretary of Time ⚔
Staff member
Curator
Level
Awards
NEET Main Office
Hmmmm. I sometimes use one when a site is not available on my country.
Kaspersky Secure Connection

Yeah. That one. Not because it's secure but because they have the country available. hahaha. Sometimes Hola. Just to unblock sites. Last week I used Private Internet Access.

Tsunayoshi

Tsunayoshi

Vongola Decimo
Staff member
Head Admin
Level
This topic isnt something we should discuss in private ( this section is a section only visible to donators )

This can be an open discussion without any issues, im gonna move this to the appropriate section and log this.

sirsneaknsniff

sirsneaknsniff

World Nobles
Level
Awards
Hmmmm. I sometimes use one when a site is not available on my country.
Kaspersky Secure Connection

Yeah. That one. Not because it's secure but because they have the country available. hahaha. Sometimes Hola. Just to unblock sites. Last week I used Private Internet Access.
Oh cool, I didn't even realize that Kaspersky had one. I think I've only used a VPN to specifically change my location once, and it was so I could find an original Japanese ROM so I could patch it to English XD
For some reason I've never ran into a region block before, but that's cool that you've come across some sites like that and got though! VPNs are awesome sauce!

sirsneaknsniff

sirsneaknsniff

World Nobles
Level
Awards
Last year for my wife's birthday I bought my wife a used 3DS off ebay and hacked it so she could play the Legend of Zelda games that we couldn't afford.
Well while looking for other good games on the console I found the series Taiko no Tatsujin.

This series is a Japanese rhythm game where you play a drum. Its super cute looking, so I thought my wife would love it.

Sadly though, these games were never exported/translated... so you can only find them in Japanese... well modifying/hacking ROMs is nothing new... so I sought the aid of amazing hackermans and womans across the globe, googling a English translation patch! Low and behold I was able to find one for the game "Taiko no Tatsujin Dokodon! Mystery Adventure" so I embarked on following their guide and downloading their tools so I could translate that game for her.

It proved far more difficult than I expected though... the guide was really confusing/error ridden. Also, to avoid getting blocked form the form or sued, they prohibited sharing of the already translated ROM... meaning I HAD to translate it myself.

Well for the translation patch, you needed an ORIGINAL and UNTOUCHED image of the game. Utilizing the main source that I used to download all my other games, I tried using their ROM. It failed to translate the file thouj, stating it wasn't an original copy.

Frustrated I used another site... and another site... and another site... until I ran out of reliable English websites! IT was then that I realized that I'd have to take a trip to Japanese websites so find the virgin ROM I so desperately sought.

So I used wiki.FANDOM to find the Japanese title (太鼓の達人 ドコドン! ミステリーアドベンチャー ), used my VPN to put me in japan, and the google'd it title and slapped ".CIA" at the end so I'd find that olive oil of a ROM. Using the power of trial and error, google web page translating, and the lovely fact that green buttons mean "I agree," "ok," and "download" universally I downloaded some ROMs directly form Japan.

Alas, despite all my effort I was never able to translate that game :( the stupid patch tool/guide were broken/misleading and I was never able to translate the game Q.Q to this very day it still gives me frustration, sorrow, rage, and PTSD when I think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drew

Drew

King D/D/D
Staff member
Curator
Level
Awards
@sirsneaknsniff DAMN.... That's quite smthing, I never thought it could get that complicated. Tho I am sure ur wife appreciates the effort ^^
I know of Eng patches like Mother 3 but that's the extent of my experience with these. Maybe just get Citra or something and dl the ROMs, tho yeah not much anyone can do if something isn't translated. There are untouched dumps of ROMs but they may not hv everything too.

Tsunayoshi

Tsunayoshi

Vongola Decimo
Staff member
Head Admin
Level
Last year for my wife's birthday I bought my wife a used 3DS off ebay and hacked it so she could play the Legend of Zelda games that we couldn't afford.
Well while looking for other good games on the console I found the series Taiko no Tatsujin.

This series is a Japanese rhythm game where you play a drum. Its super cute looking, so I thought my wife would love it.

Sadly though, these games were never exported/translated... so you can only find them in Japanese... well modifying/hacking ROMs is nothing new... so I sought the aid of amazing hackermans and womans across the globe, googling a English translation patch! Low and behold I was able to find one for the game "Taiko no Tatsujin Dokodon! Mystery Adventure" so I embarked on following their guide and downloading their tools so I could translate that game for her.

It proved far more difficult than I expected though... the guide was really confusing/error ridden. Also, to avoid getting blocked form the form or sued, they prohibited sharing of the already translated ROM... meaning I HAD to translate it myself.

Well for the translation patch, you needed an ORIGINAL and UNTOUCHED image of the game. Utilizing the main source that I used to download all my other games, I tried using their ROM. It failed to translate the file thouj, stating it wasn't an original copy.

Frustrated I used another site... and another site... and another site... until I ran out of reliable English websites! IT was then that I realized that I'd have to take a trip to Japanese websites so find the virgin ROM I so desperately sought.

So I used wiki.FANDOM to find the Japanese title (太鼓の達人 ドコドン! ミステリーアドベンチャー ), used my VPN to put me in japan, and the google'd it title and slapped ".CIA" at the end so I'd find that olive oil of a ROM. Using the power of trial and error, google web page translating, and the lovely fact that green buttons mean "I agree," "ok," and "download" universally I downloaded some ROMs directly form Japan.

Alas, despite all my effort I was never able to translate that game :( the stupid patch tool/guide were broken/misleading and I was never able to translate the game Q.Q to this very day it still gives me frustration, sorrow, rage, and PTSD when I think about it.
I took the liberty of editing this and added random line breaks so we dont get lost reading midway.