What do you use to watch the .mkv files?

Hello everyone,
I have always used VLC media player to watch the .mkv files I download. However, I have been having issues with it showing black screens for videos. I switched to MPC-HC, where it shows, but is very pixelated/blocky.

Curious to what everyone uses to view videos and/or any settings to fix my issues.

Thanks!

greycouncil

World Nobles
There's quite a few options nowadays!

KMPlayer
K-Lite codec pack
Mediaplayer dot net
MPV
MPC-HC
MPC-BE
Potplayer

However, I'm quite surprised at the problem you're having. VLC and MPC-HC should both be absolutely fine at playing .mkv files. Perhaps you have a corrupted video file?

If the file is fine, but you're watching an old anime + have a new computer, consider setting up MPC-HC with MadVR. It does an excellent job of 'upgrading' old anime (insofar as it is possible anyway).

Apognwsi

Araragi Koyomi's Alter Ego
Staff member
Team AnimeKaizoku
Hello everyone,
I have always used VLC media player to watch the .mkv files I download. However, I have been having issues with it showing black screens for videos. I switched to MPC-HC, where it shows, but is very pixelated/blocky.

Curious to what everyone uses to view videos and/or any settings to fix my issues.

Thanks!
I'm using Potplayer for everything. Never had a problem so far.

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
I second that been a user of Potplayer for 5 yrs never looked back ^^.
Potplayer is bad it really takes lot of ram and processor well that's the least of it problem, it skips frames to play smoothly same goes for vlc. And subs will be off by 2-3 frames. Use mpv or mpc-hc

drew007

King D/D/D
World Nobles
Potplayer is bad it really takes lot of ram and processor well that's the least of it problem, it skips frames to play smoothly same goes for vlc. And subs will be off by 2-3 frames. Use mpv or mpc-hc
Is the frame drop true for the latest version, just confirming cuz I hvn't had ram/cpu issues like ever but I cant say abt frame drops (not much idea there :p). Tho I think everyone agrees vlc sucks :D

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
Is the frame drop true for the latest version, just confirming cuz I hvn't had ram/cpu issues like ever but I cant say abt frame drops (not much idea there :p). Tho I think everyone agrees vlc sucks :D
Yes it drops the frames regardless of the versions bcz that's how it was made. I don't know if you can check it or not in potplayer but in vlc you can see it in info tab. Play opening of any anime bcz openings are bit rate hungry and takes lot of processor and check how many frames it dropped. You will shocked how many it drops. You can turn it up a notch by taking X264 10 bit and check for a scenes which has snowfalling which demands high bit rate so more processor. If you have this Check out the NCOP and see how many frames it drops.
i use potplayer and anything works fine, mh my only issue is when the video is 1080p and hevc
That means your processor is low end one. That's why use MPC-HC or MPV player regardless of what video you use/ what your system setup is, it will play correctly. That's what fan subbing groups insists to use. But still people use other players regardless. I saw vlc not properly displaying the masks used so.......

Last edited:

drew007

King D/D/D
World Nobles
Yes it drops the frames regardless of the versions bcz that's how it was made. I don't know if you can check it or not in potplayer but in vlc you can see it in info tab. Play opening of any anime bcz openings are bit rate hungry and takes lot of processor and check how many frames it dropped. You will shocked how many it drops. You can turn it up a notch by taking X264 10 bit and check for a scenes which has snowfalling which demands high bit rate so more processor. If you have this Check out the NCOP and see how many frames it drops.

That means your processor is low end one. That's why use MPC-HC or MPV player regardless of what video you use/ what your system setup is, it will play correctly. That's what fan subbing groups insists to use. But still people use other players regardless. I saw vlc not properly displaying the masks used so.......
Thx for replying and suggesting an alternative ^^, I will get into it right away :D

I use which use MPV interface, you can set video format bitrate info on status bar
My friend uses SMPlayer in Linux, maybe I wiil give it a go in Windows too, thx ^^

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
Thx for replying and suggesting an alternative ^^, I will get into it right away :D
Np. Though I haven't heard of smplayer, I really strongly suggest mpv player if you are familiar with cmd and commands or MPC-HC with gui interface.

drew007

King D/D/D
World Nobles
If you have this Check out the NCOP and see how many frames it drops.
UPDATE: I downloaded the NCOP and tested it with my Potplayer (hitting tab enables stats), the frame drops I encountered were 1-2. I tried this repeatedly with a fresh install and my Potplayer settings are default. I should add that while installing Potplayer, I installed the optional opencodecs it asked during installation (this requires internet). They may hv changed things and I think it works just fine ^^

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
UPDATE: I downloaded the NCOP and tested it with my Potplayer (hitting tab enables stats), the frame drops I encountered were 1-2. I tried this repeatedly with a fresh install and my Potplayer settings are default. I should add that while installing Potplayer, I installed the optional opencodecs it asked during installation (this requires internet). They may hv changed things and I think it works just fine ^^
Hmmm... Interesting. So new build has better decoding. Well I guess it's matter of preference and more like 'I got used to this" thing. Thanks I appreciate the new info.

WhenMarkers

⚔ Secretary of Time ⚔
World Nobles
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Perhaps your configuration of MP-HC is not that okay..

if it's set to LAV Filters, it'll come out good.. also for me. FFMPEG decoder of it has really crazy problem. also check of you've set your LAV to decode it without converting color range or the sorts.. if your graphics card is too old or if you don't have one, just disable hardware decoding.

Also on VLC, make sure you've got it to SWScale LANCZOS for SW Decoding and not enabled HW Decoding. since mostly 10bit are not supported by 2016 and below graphics card. Then make FFMPEG thread to even number like 2 or 4 with 4 a better one.

Well. I've been troubleshooting video players and encoders for so long so that's step one to it. If that didn't work, then, well proceed to step two.. hahaha really long convo.

step two would be like very advance thing which i don't wanna make a mistake configuring it.. haha.

WhenMarkers

⚔ Secretary of Time ⚔
World Nobles

sometimes it's because of VLC default config. Like it's video margins and the sort. it sometimes had some sub just flew it then not showing anymore. haha. but if you properly config it, everything'll come out good. Though there'll be some setbacks like the video will take perhaps 3 to 10 seconds before playing as it'll try not to drop anything from start to finish. Like this situation, I've got an old laptop core2duo, 1.7ghz, 1gb ram, and old graphics card, but if properly configured, i can also play 1080p on it. but remember the setbacks.. if used on new PC like a6 or core-i and the like, those setbacks would be less visible. also on NVidia, don't use NVidia Acceleration on MPHC, do it with copy-back. Things will go crazy that way. haha

monkey d luffy

Staff member
Saiseiya
sometimes it's because of VLC default config. Like it's video margins and the sort. it sometimes had some sub just flew it then not showing anymore. haha. but if you properly config it, everything'll come out good. Though there'll be some setbacks like the video will take perhaps 3 to 10 seconds before playing as it'll try not to drop anything from start to finish. Like this situation, I've got an old laptop core2duo, 1.7ghz, 1gb ram, and old graphics card, but if properly configured, i can also play 1080p on it. but remember the setbacks.. if used on new PC like a6 or core-i and the like, those setbacks would be less visible. also on NVidia, don't use NVidia Acceleration on MPHC, do it with copy-back. Things will go crazy that way. haha
I do timing of subs and sometimes Typesetting as well and I found significant errors on vlc especially on masks, it doesn't show sometimes. And if there are many lines like when using mocha tracker it skips them. Well I haven't tweaked the settings in vlc so I can't say it's default settings issue.
But keep H/W since if your decoder doesn't support it, it switches to s/w decoder anyway. I think it is vexing to set all the parameters so to play smoothly, instead install mpv, it works Good with default settings. But VLC has nice sound boost even on 200 volume. So I only use for music.

WhenMarkers

⚔ Secretary of Time ⚔
World Nobles
I do timing of subs and sometimes Typesetting as well and I found significant errors on vlc especially on masks, it doesn't show sometimes. And if there are many lines like when using mocha tracker it skips them. Well I haven't tweaked the settings in vlc so I can't say it's default settings issue.
But keep H/W since if your decoder doesn't support it, it switches to s/w decoder anyway. I think it is vexing to set all the parameters so to play smoothly, instead install mpv, it works Good with default settings. But VLC has nice sound boost even on 200 volume. So I only use for music.
haha.. there are also some times when SW Decoding looks better than HW decoding.. also there are some bugs on VLC that sometimes it force the video to play in HW Decoder then goes the result of black screen output of d3d9 or d3d11 because it hasn't reconsider the 10 or 12bit and the sorts. VLC said they're fixing it..